Instacart charges fees based on the services being offered. You can find the breakdown of specific fees below.
Instacart delivery starts at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35. There will be a clear indication of the delivery fee when you are choosing your delivery window.
As always, Instacart Express members get free delivery on orders over $35 per retailer.
All orders must be at least $10 before being eligible for delivery.
The heavy order fee helps cover operational costs and only applies when you purchase certain heavy items, like cases of beverages and pet food, among other products. The fee is applied if the total combined estimated weight of these items is above 50 lbs.
You can always review which items qualify for this fee before you place your order.
To find out which of your item(s) are associated with a heavy order fee—
- Create an order as you usually would in the app or on instacart.com
- You can see the heavy order fee in the order subtotal
- Select the Review link to see the heavy items in your order
- You can adjust the quantity of these items in the pop-up window to avoid or lower the heavy fee
Items at certain retailers may have a weight limit and be unavailable for purchase.
What is the service fee on my order?
The service fee helps support the Instacart platform and covers a broad range of operating costs including shopper operations, insurance, background checks, and customer support. The service fee isn’t a tip and doesn’t go to the shopper delivering your order.
Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. You can view the service fee total on every order at checkout. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
What is the alcohol service fee?
The alcohol service fee covers the additional cost associated with ensuring compliant delivery of alcohol products and ID verification.
What if I am an Instacart Express member?
Express members pay a reduced service fee and may be charged a reduced alcohol service fee.
Is there a service fee for Pickup orders?
Instacart Pickup orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
There is a “pickup fee” (equivalent to a delivery fee for pickup orders). See Pickup fees below for more information.
Why did my service fee total change after delivery?
Changes to your order, including replacing or refunding an item, will change the service fee. You’ll see the final cost and service fee total on your digital receipt after the order is complete. For more information about order changes, visit this article.
Shopper tips are separate from any service fees. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper delivering your order. Learn about tipping your shopper.
Pick up orders from certain retailers have a "pickup fee" (equivalent to a delivery fee for pickup orders).
Bottle deposit and bag fees
These fees are collected in accordance with local city and state laws where applicable. To find more information about your state’s bottle deposit fees, please visit bottlebill.org.
To see your state’s bag fees, visit ncsl.org
Taxes and fees
Like any other service or product, taxes are included in the order total on your delivery receipt that’s emailed to you upon the completion of your order. The tax and/or fees you pay on products purchased through the Instacart platform are calculated the same way as in a physical store. Depending on your location, the delivery or service fee that you pay to Instacart in exchange for its service may also be subject to tax.
There are a few different taxes involved when you place an order—
- Sales tax: The sales tax may be applied to some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store or your delivery address. Instacart’s Express Membership fee and other fees are subject to applicable taxes.
- Bottle deposit: In certain jurisdictions, a bottle fee may apply to purchases of bottles, cans, or other recyclable containers. These deposits may be applied on some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- Bag fees: In certain jurisdictions, a fee is charged for use of non-reusable bags. This fee may be applied to your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- Sugar sweetened beverage fees: In certain jurisdictions, sugary beverages are subject to an additional tax. These fees may be applied on some or all of the items in your order in accordance with local laws depending on the address of the store.
- San Francisco healthy tax: This tax applies only to orders within the city of San Francisco. Visit sfgov.org to learn more.
Shopper tips are separate from any Instacart fees. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper delivering your order. Learn about tipping your shopper.